The base brown camouflage was a 50/50 mix of Middlestone and Chocolate
Brown and a 70/30 Chocolate Brown and Middlestone mix for the center
part of the camouflage. The green was a 50/50 mix of Reflective Green
and Middlestone as a base then a 70/30 mix of Reflective Green and
Middlestone for the center of the camouflage.
All that was needed to finish off the model was to apply a dry-brush of bone where necessary.
So here are the comparison pictures, unfortunately I only took pictures of the models together from one angle but I think you can see the difference quite clearly.
The difference is quite remarkable in that the extra length of the legs gives the model so much more believability. In the plastic this is even more dramatic as your eye can see depth etc much more than the camera.
I am sold on 'True Scale', now the problem is how to achieve this with what I have.
First off the four trial squads I painted up are heading for eBay, so if you are interested the Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion are still available.
Next step will be to try what I call the 'cut and fill' method, see below, probably with green stuff.
This will allow me if successful to use my existing models rather than go out and buy Primaris Marines.
I finished off the washes and highlights and I am very happy with the end result.
The Brass Etched shoulder pad looks really good, a note here is when applying use superglue sparingly as it easily clogs up the details, the cost is way lower than the cast shoulder pads so a win for me.
I think the conversion works very well, the body and arms do not look out of proportion and the legs I believe with the knee pad work I did can pass for Pre-Heresy (of course not for the very strict).
Let me know if you think the legs can work for Pre-Heresy.
I will also do a comparison shot with the Betrayal at Calth model in the next post.
Onto painting the Iron Warrior, I am following my previous colour scheme as it worked very well and I want it to be a direct comparison, the only difference is that I am painting the typical chevron pattern of the Iron Warriors onto the knee pad.
To start with I base coated with Leadbelcher, applied a black/brown wash then drybrushed with
Leadbelcher again. The shoulder pads are Black with Bronze trim.
Next step was to drybbrush with Leadbelcher again and to base coat some of the details like pouches etc.
Since the Primaris Space Marines have come out, I am sure everybody has thought about how to integrate them into their existing forces or to use them to make their existing forces into a 'True Scale' army because that's what they really are.
Now that I have finished the first batch of Plague Marines I am working on this little test. I also want to use my Forge world Brass Etched Iron Warriors sprue to see if the skulls will work on the shoulder pads.
To start with I looked at the Heresy MKVI marines and a
comparison suggested the torso is a bit short and a bit narrow, so not exactly
a match for the Primaris proportions but close enough. I added a waist with
green stuff to my chosen torso then cut away the Primaris torso and kept in case
this does not work. Next was to cut away the flared pieces of the knee armour
and fill in the joints at the knee, then I filed the knee pad into a more
angular shape to match the MKVI version. My plan is to paint in the knee pad
rather than sculpt it as the shape of the Primaris legs are very rounded making
The last step was to glue the torso in place and add the head, weapons etc. At this stage I realised the green stuff waist was not going to work so I removed it.
All done and looking promising.
I will now paint and show you guys how that turns out.